View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: This novice learns an important lesson

It is important to consider the effects of a freshly restored car. We paint everything, sometimes a little too much.
So for the wheels to the hub. There are 2 major contact points (there really 3 points, but only 2 are critical). The paint on those surfaces will wear off fairly rapidly. This means the wheels will get loose as the paint goes to bare metal. There is the additional problem of uneven paint on the mating surfaces causing the drum to warp. My powder coated wheels would cause up to .012" of cast iron drum warp before I sanded the surfaces flat on the wheel.

The rear spring has a piece of frame welting that is going to crush. The spring will get a little loose and will need to be tightened up at first. Not to mention the lug nut holes sometimes being loose and have some paint to wear off.

As you put your car together you need to consider all these areas. You must expect that the car will loosen in some areas until the parts settle in removing paint where it wants to remove it.

Same thing goes for things like the points. People think the points are bad cause they keep needing to be reset. Every year they replace points because they think they need to and restart the process. Now they think that the points are all bad cause they wear so fast. Truth is they do not leave them on the car long enough to stop wearing into the cam.

I have not even put cotter pins in some bolts on my chassis. I plan on driving the car a few miles then go over the nuts before I put cotters in place.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote