Thread: Engine seized??
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
spinelll

Default Engine seized??

I’m helping a buddy assess car and I need some advice.
Facts:
  1. It’s a 30 coupe, been sitting for 2 years in a garage, dip stick shows full, anti-freeze.
  2. Before attempting to start it I placed 2 chalk marks in vital locations, pulled the plugs, put it 3rd and rocked it back and forth. I wanted to see if the engine was “free.”
  3. With great effort, we were able to push it about a foot while in gear but the engine didn’t move. (We were able to move the car freely in neutral).
  4. I tried using the hand crank but it didn’t budge.
  5. At that point I poured some MMO in each cylinder, returned a week later and repeated 2 thru 4 with the same results.
  6. Next, I poured an elixir of ½ ATF and ½ lacquer thinner in each cylinder, returned a week later and repeated 2 thru 4 with the same results.
  7. Then, we rolled the car out of the garage and I pushed it about 3 feet with another car. Still no engine movement.
Do you think it’s seized? And what exactly does that mean? The rings are seized to the cylinder walls? The main bearing are seized?

Any other things I can check to determine if it is in fact seized?
In effect I’m helping the owner (an elderly person) but I can't remove parts from the car (oil pan, head, etc.)

Thanks boys
Leo
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote