View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #20
Ramblin Reck

Default Re: New member intro and a question about mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland39 View Post
Greetings everyone,
I am in the boonies of north Georgia and recently found a pretty nice and mostly original '39 Standard sedan. This looks like a good place to find help with minor to major repairs. I'll try to not ask too many questions, mostly just the dumb ones!!
My opening question is how to get the door hinge pins out to install a mirror on the passenger side to match the driver side. Does anyone have a good technique for getting the original pin out and the new pin in?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ron

Ron - Greetings from the Low Country of Georgia and thanks for starting this thread. I have owned a 1939 Convertible for only 4 months and I too want a Passenger side mirror. There are times when needed IMO. I have tried PB Blaster and a 4-Lb hammer and it has gotten the grooved portion out of the top of the hinge but I can't get it any further. Persistence is my middle name and I will keep trying as well as use the Tom Sawyer approach when I have a friend over! The top pin on the driver's side door hinge is not a Pin at all but rather a long screw that is not quite long enough, so another shorter screw was inserted by me from the bottom to keep the bottom of the mirror bracket from swinging out when I tighten the set screw, which came with my Dennis Carpenter mirrors. My car came with no side mirrors and with the top up, which I admit is rare, a passenger or a passenger side mirror is almost a necessity. PM if you find success and I will also keep trying. PS I haven't tried it with the door "open" and someone pushing or lifting on the door to take the weight off of the pin. With the door "closed" it might put the pin in a bind. It went in, it will come out!

And you are correct that these folks on this forum have a ton of experience and they are eager and willing to share.
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote