Thread: Block cleaning
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
Pete

Default Re: Block cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I'm about ready to assemble my engine. All the machine work is done and checked.
I'd like to know the beat way to make a final cleaning before I assemble.
Maybe some of the pros can offer some advice. The block is mounted to an engine stand at this time
Thanks
Jim
I understand you are asking about final cleaning only but I will start at the beginning.
After tear down, I hot tank the block to get rid of the major dirt and grease.
The block is steam cleaned BY HAND when out of the tank. NO JET WASHERS. NO BAKE OVENS and most definitely NO SHOT BLASTING!
After wet magging and powder checking the block is sent out for acid/electrolysis stripping.
This is the ONLY way ALL of the rust and scale can be removed from the water jackets.
After all machine work and ready for assembly the block is stood nose down on a wash table grate, then scrubbed with HOT water, dish washer detergent and hosed off. This is a REALLY messy job that requires full rain gear and face shield to keep from getting burned. The cylinder bores and lifter bores are scrubbed with appropriate brushes. After washing and blowing off, the block should be hot enough for any remaining water to quickly evaporate.
Most people would assume the block is now ready for assembly (after oil spray).
Not so. If you now take an oil soaked WHITE rag and rub through the cylinder bores, I guarantee the rag will come out black. Keep wiping with new clean oil soaked rags till the rag comes out just as white as it starts out. Same deal with the lifter bores.
NOW, you are ready to assemble.
I hand paint FLAT BLACK after final assembly so all exposed surfaces are covered. All of my engines are for circle track racing but the cleaning procedure should apply to any engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote