View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #221
Ross F-1

Default Re: Making a Run to the LA Roadster Show and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Some stats - I averaged about 16.5 mpg, temps averaged 165-170, only consumed about 2 qts of oil after 6400 miles of driving (I did do an oil change in Pueblo), we bought about $840 of fuel at an average of $2.15/gallon burning about 390 gallons, the new shocks installed in Pueblo were broken in quite well on the ride home, and other than the issues reported, the car performed remarkably well.

Now for what we thought was vapor lock, it was not. I run 94s which have three settings - as told to me, I was running the middle setting when I should have been in the upper one. That would have eliminated the problems so I have been told by providing more fuel at the altitudes we were running.

I would love to hear what you guys think ....
I'm glad you got to enjoy some NM scenery! Lots of open space, eh?! Not the place to worry about a breakdown.

Normally you want to take fuel out at higher altitudes. On my trips back east, with an on-board exhaust analyzer (air/fuel monitor), I find by the time I get down to 3500' I see my mixtures going leaner. By the time I get to 2500' I swap in bigger jets, but also decrease my power valve setting.