View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #43
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Making a Run to the LA Roadster Show and Beyond

A couple more pics .....

Ok, issues/problems/mistakes:

1 - I should not have made that first bend - it messed up trying to do the other bends
2 - you should probably start from the inside bends, working your way out
3 - you cannot try and "meld" bends - I had bent up both the inner and outer piece and that was a mistake, thinking I could overlap and weld them together - NOT! I ended up trimming off the bends on the small piece and welding it directly to the larger piece as you saw ....
4 - also, the major bends should be done on the small piece - easier to handle and make the bends with. You should have seen me making the bends on that big piece - LOLOLOLOL!!!!
5 - finally, your welds should be on an outside corner, not an inside one. It is easier to "dress" the weld on an outside one.

Many thanks to Dave over at the House of Fab who allowed me free range with the metal brake and a very cool magnitized brake unit that I cannot wait to use again - a really cool tool ....

Can't wait for the next piece to do - this really worked out because you can't see this part unless you remove the passenger rear wheel - it's under the wheel well and the tire blocks its view - perfect for my first attempt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160322_142846736.jpg (57.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160322_142856321.jpg (59.0 KB, 26 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote