View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
OldDad

Default Re: 60 Year Old Flathead Hot Rodding Letter

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! Thought it over later, and kind of figured he was just talking about coupes versus roadsters with the "hard-top" thing. But I didn't know the time frame for the switch from roadsters to coupes on the circle tracks. I guess that happened when the supply of roadsters started to dry up.

Thanks for all the photos and video -- always think I was born too late when I see this stuff!

Blair had quite a few successful circle track roadsters back then, one in particular that my dad used to talk about a lot was the "pickle wagon" as they called it. They later sold it to Andy Granatelli, and he told a rather unflattering story about Granatelli wanting to race for pinks against one of his cars. Won't go into details, but the race never happened, and it wasn't Blair's idea to call it off!

And yes, that $300 sounds good today, but it sure didn't in 1952! I know this deal never happened, as my uncle never would have had that kind of money to blow back then.

Quote:
I doub't that big engine would have stood up long on a circle track as short stroke has more rpm, long stroke has more torque.
Yeah, just what I thought when I read that! I think he figured that one out a little later on.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you guys enjoyed this! And now I want to see about getting that bell housing fixed . . . hmm . . .10x the price, 20x the price???
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote