View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Joe KCMO

Default Re: Valve Removal Flathead yet again!

Thank you all for your help. I found the solution at least for me. Here is what I found so far.

1) No matter how hard you try to compress the valve with the valve rod you cannot remove the horseshoe clip because THE VALVE GUIDE WILL NOT MOVE DOWN.

2) If you cut the valve heads off you can not compress the guides down unless you remove the spring.

3) You cannot cut the bottoms of the valves off after you remove the springs with a grinder because it will not fit in the valley.

Here is how I removed my valves with all the information I could find.

1) Lift the spring near lifter and remove the spring retainer.

2) Open the valve and with a maximum 1/4" punch, tap the valve guide down enough so that the horseshoe clip can be removed with your fingers.

3) Hold the valve open with vise grips and Using a pry bar and valve spring rod, pry the spring out.

4) Close the valve and with a cold chisel whack the valve stem. The valve bottom breaks off and pull the valve head out the top.

5) Using 1/2" drive socket with extension knock the guide into the valley.

6) Covered in grease and penetrating oil and two days worth of work 4 cylinders done. But with this knowledge the next 8 valves should be as easy as running up a hill carrying the motor .

You might not believe it, but I am having a good time and look forward to the thrills ahead.

Last edited by Joe KCMO; 10-06-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote