View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Frank The Plumber

Default Re: Air in a 38 panel ?

Hi Gary,
The system I have is a bought engineered system, Its on a much different engine but I think you can grab some ideas towards how to engineer an AC system into your truck.
I know you are going to go with a flathead but the rest of the install should be close to the same. I have a sanden compressor on the top, I routed my heating and cooling hoses out through the inner fender and cleanly fastened everything to it, I went into the cab at the rear of the fender and grommeted everything tight so water wont get in, I used a vintage air system inside.
When I did this it was 2 years ago and I had a nice year, if I had to do this truck today with the kid in college and the economy poor I would have done this, I would have picked up a used v6 ford or chevy donor pulled the rear end and used it with the brakes, used the seats and had them recovered, used the ac system under hood and in cab, used the power steering pump and as many of the serpentine brackets as I could or adapt to a single belt system, I think with the right radiator and water pumps and proper shrouding you could keep her cool. I would ask this question of the guys on the HAMB, also take a look at different systems like March and Billet Specialties, take a peek at a vintage air setup just to get an idea on interchange of parts, there are some pretty weak motored little commuter cars out there, Im sure the compressor on a little 4 cylinder commuter car would not tax your flatty.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote