View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: '31 Murray Body Number Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
As Marco says, the Canadian assembled sedans probably used US Murray stamped panels but they were jigged up & welded in Canada & show use of Robertsons throughout. Therefore my opinion is that they should not have a Murray body plate?
I've spent WAY too much time with Murray and Briggs bodied Fordor models and can say without question that the method of manufacturing did NOT provide the option of assembling elsewhere. Not even Ford could do so which is why the there was extensive re-engineering for the slant windshield models.

For example the door sheet metal was final formed around the wooden frame with the jamb skins installed to the wood first and then the outer skin positioned by the window opening in the wood and then the
perimeter was folded over the jamb skins and spot welded. Similarly, the body skins were installed around a complete wooden frame that was sized as sub-assemblies but completely assembled in jigs (including the cowl assembly) before the skin (or skins) could be attached. There is way more to it than I can describe here but the method of manufacturing didn't leave many options.

Finally, it's worth noting that until about April-May 1930 the Murray and Briggs body tags were nailed to the wood floor sills near the front floor boards. These are often lost due to bad wood, etc., so the lack of such a tag must be considered.