View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
Will N

Default Re: water in the oil

ARGH! It never rains but it pours! Got the head back from the machine shop yesterday. Installed it this morning, filled the radiator with water, and left the oil drain plug out so that I could check if it's still leaking. Went to do something else to give it time to leak down if it was going to. Came back and see water seeping from an external crack on the top of the head between number 2 and 3 cylinders!!!!!

I always suspected there might be a crack there because there was what looked a flaw in the casting, but it never leaked there. I guess, when the head was bowed and then drawn down, it forced the crack together. Now that the head is flat, the crack isn't being forced together and it's seeping.

Does anyone out there have a nice low cylinder head that has no cracks and isn't warped that they're willing to sell? Do the low heads have a casting date on them? Mine has raised 4 25 toward rear. If that's a casting date, then does anyone have one with a 1915 date?

P.S., it just occurred to me that that 4 25 can't be a casting date, as the switch from low to high heads occurred in 1918, and what I have is definitely a low head. Maybe it's a mold id number, or maybe it means April 25th instead of April 1925?

Last edited by Will N; 04-13-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added the P.S.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote