Thread: 40--41 A heads
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
G.M.

Default Re: 40--41 A heads

34 years ago I bought a new WW-II engine from Carpenter, I think it was less than $400.00. It came with some heads that they said not to use that they were for shipping purposes only. I can't remember if they had a T or what on them. I ground what ever was on there off. I don't know what their issue was but it now has over
125,000 miles and runs perfect burning no oil, has 45 lbs of oil pressure hot and 20 at idle using Castrol 20/50 since being installed. Some of my friends swear I have a cam or did something to make it more powerful but it's just the way I received it. I have driven it pretty hard but have not abused it. We have several Ford~Heyer strobe machines that are checked regularly with a master distributor kept in a plastic bag to insure the machine don't drift and make sure the machines are correct. I check my distributor every few years and reset the dwell to make up for the phenolic shoe wear. I would suggest if the point gaps on a rebuilt distributor that runs perfect that the gaps were marked inside the housing with a marker pen that they could be reset in a few years. Points in these distributors are NOT set with feelers, they are set by a dwell meter in the machine. I may call Harvey at Carpenter's to find out what heads they were, he was there when I purchased the engine. G.M.
I was curious and called Carpenter to day. Harvey wasn't in but I talked to Bert who said he was only there 25 years but remembered they had loads of new heads and was told they were for later model trucks, meaning 1947 and 1948 years. So I guess that's I have on my 39.

Last edited by G.M.; 07-08-2014 at 10:07 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote