View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Benson

Default Re: Why is oil leaking out of a cylinder head stud/nut?

1. About the carbon on the floor. In my experience it is common for water to condense in the muffler, mix with the carbon from the rich mixture while the GAV is opened up and for the mixture to drop out the tailpipe. This happens in the first couple of minutes after start up, in cold weather, while muffler is cold and is not a problem. If the engine is run for short times and never gets hot enough, more water will collect in the muffler.

Now if the dripping continues after the muffler is hot then that is another problem.

Modern cars would do the same except that they warm up much faster and have tighter control of the mixture than the Model A.

2. If you can collect enough of the black liquid (from the stud area) it might be worth it to send it to one of those labs that test motor oil (the labs usually say how much they require to run tests). They could tell you whether it is oil or anti freeze so you know more about where to look for the problem before taking anything apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Martone View Post
It is definately black-colored oil coming out of that number 10 stud/nut when the engine is running.
There are no other head gasket leaks or weeps that can be seen around the cylinder head.
I have been told by a Model A friend that drove the car for me that it has plenty of power and it sounds very good, but he did notice lots of carbon build-up on the spark plugs and also carbon build-up when peering into the cylinder chambers. All four spark plugs and cylinder chambers looked the same. Although the engine doesn't smoke through the exhaust while it's running, we do see some dry carbon deposits on the floor under the tailpipe on the garage floor.
I was hoping that the previous owner was running the fuel mixture too rich and that was the reason for the carbon build-up in the combustion chambers.
I certainly hope the engine block has not been compromised, as one person has suggested.
What would you recommend as a course of action?
Thank you.

Last edited by Benson; 03-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote