View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
54mainlinetim

Default Re: Help with a Fordomatic transmission

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Since low and reverse have the rear band in common, sound like you are on the right path at looking a the read band adjustment.

You don't mention if you have checked or readjusted the kick down linkage. If out of adjustment it can cause band or clutch slippage (or harsh shifting)

And, No you won't be banned.

like y-block head said sounds like your on the right track, but might also check adjustment on the rod!

I dont know how diffrrent the flathead linkage is then the y-block or if it has the same type of linkage at all since yours is older trans but on a y-block ford-o-matic, even if the trans is adjusted correctly it might not shift properly due to the rod adjusments ,on a ford-o-matic its actually called a "throttle pressure/control rod" and if its not hooked up right it wont shift right,the throttle pressure rod works different then a kickdown,,, from what i have read the throttle pressure rod works as your stepping on the gas pedal at a certain point the pressure tells the trans to shift up to the next gear (hence the name pressure throttle rod)....a kickdown is when you are driving and need to pass or speed up quickly and you quickly step on the gas pedal and the kickdown tells the trans to kickdown into lower gear (hence the name kickdown) without the throttle pressure rod hooked up the trans wont shift up into the next gear properly at the right time or at all...make sure all the springs to the linkage is hooked up and not wore out because the spring tensions also effect how the throttle rod works...

in the last picture i posted of the manual under the transmission section , youll see it tells you how to set the linkage with your "rpms" in the NEUTRAL and DRIVE and adjusting the dash pot on the carb and the rod...and the last part in the paragraph talks about band slippage and turning the clevis so many turns...

HOPE THIS HELPS
heres a few pictures of the rod setup on a y-block:

Last edited by 54mainlinetim; 04-04-2012 at 04:37 PM.
54mainlinetim is offline   Reply With Quote