View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
Richard Redmond

Default Re: Water Pump Problems (?)

I'm rebuilding my 1929 water pump which I had previously 'rebuilt' about 5 years ago. I confess to being puzzled by the rear bushing and found this thread after a search. My initial thought was the grease holes do need to be aligned, but I now see that if the external groove aligns with the grease fitting - then grease will fill this groove and find its way to the shaft.

When fitting a new rear bushing - I nevertheless aligned the holes. We'll see if this is a mistake if there's a water leak - theoretical if the grease fitting cap is lost or falls off.

What concerns me is the difference between the old and new rear bush. When the new is inserted so that holes / groove align, there is significant rearward protrusion! See photos. Is the cast iron boss on the rear of the pump body shorter than normal in my case? If the bushing was pressed fully home, then the grease groove would not align with the grease fitting. The nose of the shaft/impellor fits into the cylinder head but the interior bearing pad is badly worn - hence the collar to prevent forward and aft play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1658.jpg (117.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1659.jpg (110.3 KB, 45 views)
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote