View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #42
ian Simpson

Default Re: Mechanical vs. Juice brakes on an A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
"Thanks for everyones reply. I posted the original question because every now and then someone mentions putting juice brakes on a STOCK Model A. I've always thought the brakes Henry put on A's that are properly rebuilt, work just fine."

There are also those folks who don't / "can't" leave anything exactly the way the factory built it...

( I wonder what percentage of Harley's stay exactly the way they left the factory...? )

I would add a small qualifying statement to: "Stock brakes are just fine on a Model A" - a STOCK Model A...

If someone goes and substantially boosts the HP of their "banger" or re-powers the car with a hotter engine, then the Model A brakes may no longer be adequate.

My personal opinion is, that unless you're building a "heritage rod", and need to stay "old-school" with the Lockheed Juice brakes, if you really need hydraulic brakes, there are better hydraulic brake designs out there.

Chrysler Corp. finally gave up on Lockheed-derived brakes after the 1962 full-size cars. From then on, they used Bendix brakes. The "new" compact MoPars used Bendix brakes from day one, 1960 ( just like the Falcon & Comet).
Why does a hotter engine make a difference? Stopping from 55 with a stock engine does not differ from stopping from 55 with a more powerful engine. If you are driving faster with the rudimentary Model A steering and suspension, may the Lord be with you.

IMHO unless you go for cast iron drums and Ted's floaters with properly arced shoes you are not experiencing the best of Model A mechanical brakes.

Too bad you cannot fit a set of four disk brakes from a MK II or E-type Jaguar to a Model A. These were the best ever!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)