View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
41ford1

Default Re: The last and the first

I glad you cured the problem. The thing that bothers me is the video you posted of the trail of bubbles in the clear tubing. Is the heat source causing the vapor lock condition the under hood temps or the exhaust pipe heating the fuel line from the tank? It is also possible there is a leak in the fuel line that allows air to be drawn in when the pump is pulling fuel when the engine is running. I would be inclined to monitor the fuel line to be sure no fuel is leaking under pressure from the new electric pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Ever notice how it is ALWAYS the last thing that you do to try to fix a problem that actually fixes it? Whether it's the first thing you try, the 6th, or the 12th, it's always the very LAST thing you do that fixes it. And, too frequently, the ultimate solution to the problem is the simplest thing that you actually thought of first but dismissed as too simple and easy.

I just went through that with my fuel delivery problem on a 51 Custom I'm trying to sell for a friend. My first thought was vapor lock but I tried my usual quick diagnostic fix for that and it didn't work so I went on to replace the gas cap, replace the fuel pump, replace the fuel lines from the tank to the flex line and from the pump to the carb, and replace the flex line with one from Shewman with a check valve in it. None of it fixed the problem. So, what was I left with but to return to possible vapor lock? With some additional and more exhaustive and thorough testing such proved to be the problem all along from the start and was fixed with an electric fuel pump. The last thing I did fixed it which was the first thing I thought of.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote