View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 05:47 PM   #1
mrbilman

Default Balancing wire wheels with steel plate welded inside

I hate to reopen the tire balance discussion again but i've read all of the old threads and have not found anyone talk about this idea. I have gone thru all the wheels I have (no tire mounted) and sorted them by radial runout and wobble to get the best five. However in doing so, noticed the bare wheels have various amounts of imbalance. Before refinishing these and making them pretty, does it make any sense to balance just the wheel by welding the proper amount of flat steel inside at the light spot to balance the wheel.? I'm thinking if the balance plates are well rounded the tube would not care that its there. Or - will the tires be out of balance anyway, so it doesn't mater if the wheel is out of balance. If so, has anyone tried mounting a tire in various orientations to cancel out the wheel imbalance with the tire imbalance. i know its just a Model A but bouncing down the road is annoying. Like I said, I've read numerous threads so I'm aware of the various options such as beads, stick on weights etc.
mrbilman is offline   Reply With Quote