View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 12:17 AM   #60
GB SISSON

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

I got a little time to run a test. Bear with me here, The plastic tube is an 'airborne' cold tablet container, cut to 2 1/8" inside height.The od fits the brake cup the ID fits a spring. Neither is binding on anything. I think this type of measuring tube is a bad idea as it indicates the installed height, but not the installed height in the block. No matter which long style spring I pick it shows about 20 psi at 2.125. When pushed another .125 below the rim of the tube, they show 40 psi. When I substitute a deep socket in place of the spring, the lest pressure shows up immediately. With a spring on the tester the gauge shows no pressre until some compression of the spring takes place. In the final analysis though, 40 lbs is 40 lbs and a good spring should be at the 2.125 lip on the pill bottle. I'm thinking I need to make the light spring tester, find true installed height and test springs at that height instead? Huh? I'm starting to feel like the guy in 'Close Encounters' , but instead of Devil's Tower, I see valve gear....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ace tester 1.jpg (122.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ace tester 2.jpg (108.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg ace tester 3.jpg (111.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg ace tester 4.jpg (114.0 KB, 31 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote