View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Tom Endy

Default Re: Torque Tube to Differential 6 Bolts - What Torque?

I have always wondered how the torque tube safety wire was installed at the factory. Most every rear axle assembly I have taken apart had the safety wire zig-zaging through the bolt holes in various ways that did not look very good. Many had no safety wire at all.

The method I use when installing a torque tube is to install six bolts from a large supply I have that have been bead blasted and wire wheeled. I tighten each bolt down as tight as I can get it using a nominal length box wrench, where there is little chance of twisting the head off. I then examine each bolt to see if it lines up such that the bolt hole is parallel to the circumference of the flange. Those that are not and are only slightly off I tighten some more. Those that cannot be lined up by additional tightening I remove and try another bolt. Often I can swap the position of two bolts to achieve the goal.

This takes more time than most mechanics are willing to spend on such a project, but when I am done all six bolts have the holes lined up parallel to the flange and they are all tight. I then insert the safety wire through each bolt hole and form a perfect circle with the wire with the two ends passing through the top bolt hole in opposite directions. I twist the two ends together and cut it such that about a quarter inch of the twist remains, then I bend it neatly over the top of the flange.

It may not be according to Henry, and the blue ribbon folks may not accept it, but it looks very neat and it has become my signature way of doing it.

This is done before the assembly is painted so that the final result is that the bolt heads and safety wire are painted.

Using lock washers in place of the safety wire may not be a good idea for the same reason lock washers should not be used on the 20 banjo bolts, as it could lead to oil leakage.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote