Thread: Engine seized??
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Smurkey

Default Re: Engine seized??

Sure sounds seized to me. Most typically, if there is no issues such as leaking coolant, normal condensation will form in the cylinder bores from temperature changes. This condensation will form rust on the rings/cylinder walls locking the pistons in the bores.

Main bearings would most typically seize if the car was run out of lubricant while running, almost never from storage.

I have freed up mildly stuck engines doing just what you've already done, but was able to get a prybar onto the ring gear on the flywheel. This gives you more torque than what you've been able to develop using the "rocking" method, but can possibly harm internals if not done with a bit of finesse. This method would require the removal of the starter. If no parts can be removed, I'd suggest doing what you've already done in one week intervals and you might get lucky...though probably not.

Good luck!

PS If you do remove the head you can tap the tops of the pistons with a block of wood and a hammer and probably loosen it up if it's not too rusted.

PSS If it is too rusted, an overhaul will be in order.
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote