View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
skip
Banned

Default Re: How do you remove worn king pin bearings from the spindle?

It's actually very easy. My spindle bolts simply fell apart in my hands as each nut was denuded of the cotter pins, these cotter pins actually take up the most time to worm them out so the nut could turn. Replace with new cotters. Thses are not in the kit.
Both port and starboard sides were apart in less than two hours. Nothing was so tight that I even needed to talk to it.

As to the question at hand, I drove both top and bottom out with a drift pin.

Pressed in with a 20 ton press shown in the above article and than 'line bored' or reamed to size.
The ream is a tad hard to get started [with todays bushings used] into the top bronze bushing.
Once the ream is starting to cut the new bushing, tapping with a hammer while another person countinues to turn the ream through the top then onto the bottom bushing. It's a one shot deal. Go through both bushings. You will not push the bushing out of the spindle by hammering the ream in to it. Oh, and never work a dry hole. Oil up.

You MUST keep the grease holes lined up. And never pull the wedges in to the front beam axle using the nut. Instead hammer the bugger in with plenty of lube. Than nut.

A hint. To start the bottom tin rolled edge protective cover that protects the felt donut use the old spindle bolt, up side down, shoved up in from the bottom spindle bushing to hold the cap and felt alignment. The new spindle bolt coming down from the top will displace the old spindle bolt.

And use two well oiled shims under the bearing atop to take the weight of the car.

Putting it all back together took about three hours.

One does not even have to take the brake shoes off the backing plate. Keep it all together. Do NOT loose the 'pill' under the 7-1/4" brake rods and I kept all the left hand parts in one rubber pan and the right hand parts in another rubber pan just for poops and grins.

If an assembly drawing is required the Bratton's catalog has a better exploded view than the Mac's catalog. Mac's has the spindle bolts where Bratton's said 6 to 8 months!!

$91.00 with shipping. Here is Red below enjoying his new spindle bolts.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 08-12-2010 at 09:52 PM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote