View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
DirtyDan

Default Re: ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrev View Post
Dan, do you have any problem with the front tires rubbing the fender well lips when you turn right or left with the drop that much and full size wide white walls?
Amazing enough, my tires do not rub anywhere even at full lock. Now if I was at full lock and hit a big bump, they would rub, but how often would that happen. The front tires are Coker Firestone 550-16's on a stock 4" 1940 Ford wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Dan, job well done; that's how a real "hot rod" should look IMO. I too have a '36 & would like to do some of the things you have: how did you remove center section at the x-member with the body on? Is that the original '36 steering in the car, did you have to change water pumps, what oil pan did you use? Is the front axle also narrowed? Will you have an emergency brake? Am also concerned about front tire clearance (inner fender & wishbone?)
I removed the x member using a plasma cutter. I originally tried drilling out the rivets but I got nowhere fast. The steering is all 1939 Ford, including the box, column, drop and steering wheel. I had to change the bracket on the frame, but Drake is repoping them now fairly cheap. The motor is an 8BA with truck water pumps so I can use the stock frame mounts. The oil pan is from a truck motor as well. It needed a little persuading with a hammer to clear the tie rod, but it works fine now. The front axle is a standard 4" drop Superbell for a 1940 Ford. I had 40 wishbones already split so I used those. I have a chrome Gennie Shifter E-brake mounted to the transmission next to the shifter that looks very similar to the stock 36 unit. I have no clearance issues front or rear w/ the tires.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote