View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
oldandtired

Default Inflation at many swap meets

Years ago I used to routinely travel from the Carolinas out to Kansas, Nebraska, and other grain belt states seeking pickup and truck parts. I came across an advertisement for a swap meet in Sedalia, Missouri. They were advertising a swap meet with 30 x 50 spaces for $25. I went to the swap meet as much because I wanted to actually see a 30 x 50 swap meet space for $25 after going to Charlotte, Iola, Maggie Valley, Moultrie, old Pate, Chickasha, and numerous other meets over the years where prices were not so modest. The total size of the 4 spaces I had at Charlotte and the 5 I had at Maggie Valley when they moved to Fletcher totaled maybe 2/3 the size at more than 10 times the cost. I sold and bought some parts and enjoyed the people I met. This year I received a mailer from them. They have raised their prices since I went years ago. They are up to $40 for a 30 x 50 swap meet space. I was not going to go to any more swap meets for a variety of reasons. The idea of taking a trip back out there started growing on me. To me, a 30 x 50 space for $40 is a sight worth seeing again all on its own. I was tempted to not even load up anything to take, just go park on the space and look around and admire it, but I ended up loading up some stuff to bring because who knows, maybe I will have some stuff someone else simply cannot live without.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote