View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
GOSFAST

Default Re: 304 cu in conn rods and block clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
will do, never having a lot of trust in suppliers I took the balanced rotating assembly my buddy purchased on line to my local guy who does a lot of high end racing motors of various breeds. He did the balance all over again. I said Speedway in my original post but only as a reference to what we have. The crank was out a fair bit. He said the rods were bad but the Ross pistons were perfect. This is the block I am using. I am starting to get a routine that works for me. After the block is back from hot tank and magnaflux I do any porting, drill for the adj. lifters and another real good cleaning inside and out. I have a scope to look at the inside of the block. Wash down with "Goof Off" and then Acetone, mask and paint. When the paint is dry I then do another good cleaning and wash with soap and water and then rinse. Blow dry and wipe oil over everything that is not painted. I will spend all the next two days finishing the cleaning and making sure guides and lifters fit as they should and check to make sure all is as it should be and then mask for painting. The future owner is a body man and is mixing his own paint and will spray it himself on Wednesday. I think it will be yellow but not sure.
This is indicative of why we don't buy pre-balanced strokers but choose to put together our own combinations and balance them in-house!

The part about Ross pistons is correct, they are normally the only ones we use, along with the "metric" ring packs.

We use the Eagle shafts because they are easier to balance and we use the Scat rods because they fit the best, least labor intensive, even on the 4.250" strokes!

(Add) I would strongly recommend pressure testing the block, "magging" alone is not a very reliable procedure. There have been issues up here recently that never would have been detected by magnafluxing!!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. It's kind of ironic but I had a long conversation with my friends down at Eagle just 2 days ago, suppied them a photo similar to one below here, and actually (finally) MAY see some design changes to their connecting rods. We shall see in the near future! Explained (again) why we don't use their rods on any builds, they DO NOT fit (without major labor), even on the 4.000" strokes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Rods ESP-Scat Dim-A.JPG (70.2 KB, 138 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote