View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #38
Skibb

Angry Re: how can we get the youth to be come involed in our hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
It has to start on the local level. If your club is anti-mods, only sits around on Saturday mornings for coffee @ McDonalds, or has their meetings at a nursing home: you won't have any young members.

I might not be able to tell you what to do to get young people involved, but I can surely tell you what NOT to do.

1) quit nit picking cars. 99% of the cars on the road are not show cars, and even the 1% that is- they aren't perfect either. If somebody shows up with a car that has purple fenders & the wrong wheels, smile & welcome them- don't start off by telling them how wrong their car is.

2) The younger generation is going to modify. It's as simple as that. My car is pretty heavily modified, but I could switch it back to 100% stock and nobody would know the difference. If it's not your car, don't worry about it.

3) DRIVE. Get your club out and drive. What's the point in owning a car if it's not going to do what it was built to do? Go somewhere fun and enjoyable for everyone. Young people aren't going to think taking their car to show off at a nursing home is fun. I do it all the time for my Grandma and her nursing home. But if she didn't live there, I likely wouldn't.

4) If your state has an annual meet, don't hold it during the school year. This will automatically cut out any youth attendance. I know this for a fact. In 2010 when Ft Worth club hosted Texas Tour, it was after the school year ended. We had 52 youth registered. Years that it was held on the tail end of the school year, I would of been surprised if there were 10 youth there. It makes a HUGE difference.

I could go on for days, but I figure I'll stop here.
You are right on the money Jordan.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote