View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Napa Skip

Default Re: Pluck's Walla Walla on PBS

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I won't comment on the wine, other than to say almost every (if not each) state in the Union (including - I suppose - Alaska) makes wine, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of most wines made outside the Napa Valley.

I went to school at the University of Idaho and in 1970 found myself in the dental clinic at the naval base at Newport, RI. There was a commotion in the passageway outside the operatory (sp?) in which I was waiting to have a couple of molars extracted (it was a slow day). Finally, after much shouting and waving of arms, two dentists and a dental tech came in and somehow having ascertained - probably from my dental record - that I was a recent transplant from Moscow, Idaho, and must therefore know everything about Washington, Oregon, and pretty much anything west of Pennsylvania (Easterners, especially those from Rhode Island, have a distorted view of the "west") asked me to settle the argument of whether in fact there was such a place as Walla Walla Washington (say it real fast). Having assured them that Walla Walla Washington did in fact exist, I thought the issue was settled, but one of the dentists (fortunately not the one that would soon have both hands inside my mouth) walked off mumbling something to the effect that he still didn't believe anyone would name a city "Walla Walla" especially if it ended up being "Walla Walla Washington."

Some people are hard to convince. (I also saw the PBS segment on The News Hour and thought it did credit to both Walla Walla and to the State of Washington.)

[Disclaimer: I lived several years in Bremerton WA, where the standard refrain was "In Bremerton you don't tan, you rust!" Great place.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote