View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Vapor Lock Quick Recovery Tool

I've been plagued with vapor lock on this 51 Custom I'm trying to sell for a friend and, until I get Shewman's check valve flex hose I came up with this idea to get back on the road when the engine died after a short stop.

I got a short piece of soft hose.

With the inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the gas filler neck. (Doesn't look like it in this picture but it is.)

Then pushed the hose down over the filler neck.

And blew.

Works great.

I thought I'd have to really huff and puff to pressurize the tank but couldn't even get one full breath in before I couldn't blow any more in. Then held the pressure as long as I could to make sure the fuel pushed up the fuel line, through the pump, and filled the carburetor float bowl. Then, got in and started it up and drove away.

If this was my car I would immediately install an electric backup fuel pump back by the tank like I did on my 47 but it's not. Hopefully, when I get Shewman's flex hose the fuel will quit draining out of the pump and solve the problem.