View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Charles Reese

Default Re: Gear Shifter Boot (early)

Expanding my original question re: floorboard around shift tower ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
… there was a two-pieced ring that snapped together to bind the carpet around the shift tower. it was painted black.

* From this, seems the 2-piece ring would only be found on 'carpet' (i.e. closed vehicles).
==========================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
… then, attached to the floor board below the carpet, was another ring, nickel plated with a rubber seal around the tower, and screwed down to the floor board.

* Was this unique to the carpeted vehicles (i.e. closed) or should open vehicles have this feature as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Although my description is less the ideal, it wasn't bad for 17 years ago when I wrote it. See page 11-2 in the Standards.

JStandards 11-2 (1994 rev): "Some very early 1928 vehicles had a rubber seal around the gear shift housing with a metal retaining ring attached with three screws. All other cars had just a flat rubber seal tacked in place. This seal was dropped approximately June 1928, with the relocation of the emergency brake lever in front of the gear shift housing.”
* I have seen numerous original floorboards but none showed any sign of screw holes around the tower area ... assumed only the rubber floor mat snugged up close to the tower. The ‘carpet ring’ is evident in several original photos, however, does anyone have photos they can post of :
1. earliest style “rubber seal around the gear shift housing with a metal retaining ring attached with three screws.”
2. later style “flat rubber seal tacked in place”

* Germane to the topic … is anyone repro-ing the 27-28 (left hand brake) rubber floor mat?

Last edited by Charles Reese; 09-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote