View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
perrysmith

Default Re: Radiator...clean with vinigar?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It is not an very strong acid, (acetic is literally defined as a weak acid, although bitter to the taste) vinegar, just seems to be one that works good, especially for calcium carbonate (coffee pot residue, e.g., which is usually one of the main components that cause blockage). It also works some on the rust (iron oxides) which most water has some of, and which can also arise from the iron parts of the engine. I am told that citric acid is also excellent, and that it cleans a couple of ions that most things won't touch). I have not noticed it for sale anywhere, though. It seems like wanting a neutral solution as Ol Henry comments above, would make good sense so as not to subsequently develop more deposits brought on by the alkalinity or acidity of the water. Does anyone know if a person should shoot for exactly neutral ph in his cooling system, or is there reasons it might pay to favor one way or the other? I would think leaving it slightly basic might combat against future calcium carbonate plugging, just not sure if it would matter to rubberhoses and components.
perrysmith is offline   Reply With Quote