View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
sanborn

Default Re: Drop Staight Axle vs IFS

There seems to be some confusion about the "composite" rear springs I installed. They are semi-elliptic or parallel leafs. Each spring is a single leaf so you can't remove a spring leaf for softer ride. I just don't want to give up on the springs until I have done everything possible to get the ride I want.

The car is a street rod, known as a "resto-rod". All the exterior is original but the driveline is changed. And, as a street rod, the original type "buggy" spring is considered a determent to value. Don't necessarily agree with that consideration, but those are the general beliefs.

The car handles great but the rear is a little too stiff. As a former dirt track raccer, I know what shocks do for ride and handling. Custom valving does solve a lot of problems. What I am using on my car is 4 compression/6 rebound on the front, 5 compression/7 rebound on the rear. And, with custom valving there is no "dead" spot in the shock travel. Most "over the counter" shocks have dead spots especially at low shock speed which leads to bounce when going over a bump in the road.

As a street rod, I need to feel comfortable at 80 MPH highway speeds but yet be comfortable at 50 MPH which is the speed I prefer to run. And yet, If I go into a sharp curve in the road, I want little body roll and to feel in control at all times. This compromise is difficult to obtain but desirable.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote