View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #77
Gasoline

Default Re: Mallory tech answer to coil/ballast ?

What can I say; I am impressed by your knowledge and I have read all posts carefully.

To sum up my problem: car shakes, dies and impossible to start on a sunny day. I change MSD 0.7 coil + 0.7 ballast resistor to a new MSD 0.7 coil and 0.7 ballast resistor, change condenser and the car starts fine again later that day. Then, the same thing occurs the day after after driving for 10 minutes. This happened once for the past seven years and that time it was caused by a bad condenser.

This time a start thinking the coil does not get enough power and the warm summer weather increases the resistance. I measure and notice that I have only have 6 volt so I change to a 1.5 ohms Accel coil and the volt increases to 8 when the engine is running (still using 0.7 ohms ballast resistor). I try without ballast resistor and volt increases to 9 when engine running.

So I am thinking that maybe I should be satisfied with 8 volt using a resistor (only 6 volt with the MSD which obvious was to low for my car). But then I am thinking that I might need 9 volt, by skipping the resistor, so I do not end up with the car shaking/dies again. But 9 volt might be bad for the breaker points - so it feels like a dilemma

I have learned that I have a wire resistance of 1.5 ohms. The question is if that combined with the 1.4 ohms coil is enough to protect the breaker points. What I did not get was the peak coil?

Last edited by Gasoline; 08-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Gasoline is offline   Reply With Quote