View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Buford

Default Help with a Fordomatic transmission

Hello everyone...I need help with my '51 Fordomatic trans...it slips in low and reverse with the rear band (new band)adjusted to specs, I can tighten it a little more than is recommended and it seems to grab the drum when I shift it manually into low or reverse...when I drive it with the shifter in Dr. it starts in second like it should but when the trans shifts auotmatically into high it drags and I am sure it is because the rear band is too tight. I have inspected the rear servo and tested it with air pressure and it seems to apply with great force...any Fordomatic guys out there with some input? With the rear band adjusted properly it still slips in low and reverse but the trans works fine in second and high with nice firm, smooth shifts. I took the trans out because it was leaking and it shuddered in reverse...put a complete kit in it with lots of new bushings, clutches, one band and new seals. I have a book and have cleaned all the valves and everything looks correct (have had it apart twice) Could a bad, or weak front pump cause this problem? I don't have the pressure gauges that it shows in the repair manual.
Thanks for reading this, I sure would like to know what is causing my problem...Buford.
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote