View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
700rpm

Default Re: "The Dust Bowl" by Ken Burns

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Ken Burns has a knack for portraying history they way he wants it to look. I have found that his work often ignores facts to promote his beliefs. I first noticed this on his film "Horatio's Drive". Ken portrayed it as the first motor vehicle to cross the United States from coast to coast in 1903. The fact is that event started a few days before Horatio by George Wyman. George crossed the country is less time. And finished 20 days before Horatio. Did I mention the George was doing this feat on a 1902 California single cylinder, belt driven motorcycle?
Since then I have had no faith in the accuracy of anything put forth by Ken Burns.
The man makes reference to a vehicle instead of a motorcycle and you find his work "often" ignores facts? I have met Ken Burns and find him to be a professional with the highest integrity. If you have documentation that refutes his work, you can contact him and he will make a correction if at all practicable.

By the way, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson was the first to drive an automobile across the continent, in 1903, as Burns stated and as his film was titled. I think your assessment is a little narrow.

And to stay on topic, "The Dust Bowl" was excellent.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote