View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
sanborn

Default Re: 1940 ford with a swap from the f/h to a s/b ford

I just put our 40 sedan back on the road this summer. It is a 289 powered car. The 289 with C4 trans and 8" mustang rear is nice-----but I would consider keeping the flathead engine if possible. It sort of depends what you want from the car.

Suspension wise, I kept the original type front suspension-----with modifications. I used a 4-bar system, with a 4" dropped axle, reversed eye spring. The secret to good ride and handling with the straight axle is a good anti-roll bar and shock absorbers. After some testing, I used shocks with 3 compression and 6 rebound. Gave a good ride even on rough roads. The original rear suspension needs some help-----either parallel leaf springs or coilover help to give the topheavy sedan better corner control. An antiroll bar is essential on the back and once again, shocks are the key----3 compression and 6(or 7) rebound really helps.

If you are OK with a standard shift, the original column shift transmission is fine. The same for the rear end except a 3.54 or 3.23 ratio is much better than the original 3.78.

The wiring needs to be changed and a 12 volt system with alternator is even better.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote