View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
OldDad

Default Re: Flathead highway speeds

Here's a story from "back when" I think you might enjoy. Old Dad (my avatar, who got that nick-name working at Blair's Speed Shop here in Pasadena after the war because he was married and had a kid already at 19) was driving from Pasadena to Reno, NV on 395 late at night after work in his '33 Tudor. He had a built flathead in it with Zephyr gears, etc. He drove fast, as it was late at night and nobody on the road. Out ahead of him he spotted a couple of taillights twinkling away in the distance, which he never seemed to gain on, even though he was traveling fast. Finally, curiosity got the best of him, so he stepped it up a bit just to see what it was barreling along ahead of him. He hit 90, 95 and finally caught up with what turned out to be a cattle truck (!) that was rocking down the road. So, he just had to pull out and pass him at about 100, and blasted on by and left the truck behind. Later, he pulled into town and stopped for some coffee, and when he came back out to the car he found the hood ajar. Apparently that trucker was curious how an old '33 Ford was able to pass him that rate of speed!

My dad had a friend who used to drive back and forth from Pasadena to the University of New Mexico after the war in his '38 Tudor. He'd get out of town and then step it up to 85-90, and then pull out the hand throttle (yikes!) and use that as a prehistoric cruise control across the desert. Not recommended by me, that's for sure. Myself, 70 is about all I'm interested in driving mine. But I think it's interesting to know that these cars were certainly exercised back when they were regular transportation.
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote