View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
ktgarcia

Default Re: Front spring shackle and perch bolts

I just wanted to provide an update. I had heated the axle last week a little bit but not cherry red. I had gone out and tapped on the bolt with the nut attached periodically and was not having any luck. I decided that I would go out today and do my very best to break it free and get it out. I turned the wishbone over and tapped on the top of the bolt to see if it would turn just slightly as I had about 1/16 on an inch to play with. It appeared that I was able to get it to move ever so slightly which allowed for me to spray more penetrating oil down the hole. I tapped it hoping for some free up. I finally thought I was getting oil down the entire bolt through the axle and turned it over to hit the nut again. Lo and behold, it finally moved ever so slightly. It moved far enough to get above the square base. I then was able to get a bar in the shock hole and move it around slightly. Turned it over again and hit the bolt again. Turned it over one more time and was able to turn the bolt quite a bit more in the axle. I turned it over and was able to drive the bolt out. Patience was probably the best thing I did with periodically hitting the nut with a non steel hammer. Regardless, it is now out and I can go get it blasted and coated and start the reassembly. The one side came out with no difficulty, so I assume it had been replaced at some other time.

A quick question though. On reassembly, does one put any lubricant on the perch bolts?
Thanks.
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote