View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
badbones

Default Re: Rear brake drum wont fit over ebrake shoes why??

UPDATE

As I may have mentioned I only started with the drivers side and left the passenger alone with the original parts still attached to the passenger side. When I did the divers side I did try both new ebrake shoes and neither would fit.

So I had both drums ebrake portion turned as well. I then tried the drums on the drivers side and STILL wont go on. I then decided to do the passenger side and to my surprise both drums easily slid on over the ebrake. WHAT THE HECK?? So I took of the drivers side baking plate and inspected it and it was fine. I redid all the work and again it would not slide on.

Well I found that I had 30-31 ebrake carriers on my 29. From my research this was a good thing. At wits end I figured it had to be the carrier. I inspected it and there was no damage or wear. I contacted a local A owner and he had a ebrake carrier. I tried this new one (used) and guess what, the drum slid on easily like the passenger side.

So this whole time the problem was the carrier. I cant say if the snyder pads were to thick since I did not do the passenger side prior ro turning since I did not want to mix up any parts.

I thank all those for the advise and hope this can help someone else.

By the way, Im thinking the carrier must have got really hot somehow and warped?? is this possible? It really does look fine which surprised me this was the problem.
badbones is offline   Reply With Quote