View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Bronze or Aluminum timing gear

All of Dan McEacherns gears are silent when used in matched sets. In general, bronze is best and said to be quietest. I've used Bronze and aluminum and they are both quiet for me. I've run loud exhausts on most of my cars and murdersickles for most of my life. I've run power saws and other loud air tools while doing body work as a professiion. My hearing may not be as good as it was when I was a kid. They are just model A's, I love them like they are and am not tring to make a rolls Royce out of them. Bronze and aluminum gears should last a lifetime or more. Fiber gears have never lasted that long for me. The longest that a fiber gear ever lasted for me was seven years and some only lasted a few months. The reason that some fail is because some put a rag between the gears when tightening the cam nut. I know, I know, I've done it myself and it works but is hard, especially on the fiber gears. Dan McEachern recommends the use of a special clamp on the cam gear be used when tightening the cam nut on all of his gears. I think that George Miller showed one of these clamps in use here before.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote