View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Reproduction fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by earbleeder View Post
There has to be somebody who knows somebody who knows a guy that can stamp these things out in limited quantities where a liability release could be signed if needed, for under a million bucks. Maybe a group buy thing. Example, there was this company that made a billet aluminum oil pan for a motorcyle. They stopped making it. Someone found an old one. They found a shop to reproduce it on a CNC machine. The shop said buy X many and the price goes considerably down. So they did.
Now. Where's that guy for the tanks?

Speaking as someone who has seen more than just a few of these from the inside, I can tell you there is quite a bit of subtile differences in all the different tanks. If you had to tool up to cover all of the different ones, it would likely take about the same amount was what the winning proceeds from the Powerball lottery payout would be!!

We can repair a stock Model-A gas tank and make it as good as new with just one exception. I cannot affordably coat the inside of the tank with a metalized product such as Terne or Galvanize that would offer assurance that future fuels would be impervious. My only option is to use a non-catalyzed coating to seal the tank. If someone wants to figure out a process to coat the inside for a lifetime, I have figured out how to restore the inside where existing tanks can be refurbished. No need to re-invent the wheel by reproducing the whole tank IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote