View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Bronze or Aluminum timing gear

Hi Mike,

FWIW, serious past experiences:

Some may remember that every old non-electric hand crank cash register & every old "till", (money drawer in old stores & bars), had about a 4" x 12" x 3/8" thick piece of marble right above the drawer for a very specific reason.

Counterfeit coins were often made back then; however, with every metal or metal alloy recipe one could imagine, I experienced with old coins that only one (1) had a special sounding loud "ring" like a high pitched musical note determined by the diameter of the coin -- this "ring" was very audible from a long distance.

Furthermore, in the 1700's & 1800's church bells & steamboat bells were cast from different alloys; however, I experienced a few very old bells with only one (1) alloy that produced a "ring" that could be heard from over (10) miles away.

Could go into details on scientific musical notes for different alloys in bells; however, I would imagine if anyone wanted to make a timing gear that had a very unique loud "ring" to it, just make it out of pure silver.

Hope this helps if anyone wants to add timing gear "rings" to a Model A after he wins the lottery -- for now, I'm sticking with quiet, durable long lasting aluminum.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote