View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Old Henry

Default Re: Rocky Mountain High Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Old Henry....I don't know too many folks that have as much fun as you do on your great trips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige386 View Post
I would just love to be able to take a road trip like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
I really envy you. . . . Very lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom/illinois View Post
I have a '47 tudor can only dream of a trip like that.
Just posted the following on another thread in response to the same sentiments:

I think one of the very sad misconceptions that too many have about our old Fords is that they have somehow become fragile, weak, and brittle in their old age and could not possibly withstand the rigors of the highway like modern cars do. I must admit I had some of those feelings initially when I first restored Old Henry after he had slept for 31 years (like Rip Van Winkle). But, I soon came to realize that he was the same old beater car I drove in high school, including a lot of off road, and was still just as sturdy and could still be driven cross country just like his kind were driven cross country on Route 66 and many other cross country routes so many years ago. Sure, things break, probably more than modern cars. (My owner's manual grants only a 90 day warranty on the '47.) But, that's part of the fun if you like a challenge, which I guess I do - to be dead on the side of the road far from any garage or anyone that knows anything about your car and have to sit there and figure out what is wrong and how to fix it with just what tools and parts are in the trunk to get it back on the road. Calling AAA is an absolute last resort (although I've done it once but felt a total failure for having had to do so). It has often reminded me of Apollo 13 when they had a malfunciton out in space and had to figure out how to "Jury Rig" to fix the problem with just what they had on board. They couldn't "send out for parts." They just had to do it and they did. Times haven't changed much.

So, take the cold plunge guys. Load the trunk with your tools and whatever spare parts you have and go have some fun - "on the road again" (my theme song on many a road trip).

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)