View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
larrys40

Default Re: Stainless Radiator Shell Polishing Hints and Experiences Request

Kevin
Here's a couple if things I've done

If I have a dent I take a piece of sandpaper on the back side and scuff to highlight the dent area . Anything to help you show the high / low just for reference
Sharpie markers are good for working on shells to mark/ show what areas need attention
A rubber sanding block with I believe 800 is so does a nice job of showing what needs attention on the front facing side as well

A formed bucking contoured piece of hardwood does help as a bucking bar/ backup piece
I use a combination of a very small hard plastive faced hammer and a small body / ball poem hammer . You don't want to use too large of one as the radius of the shell can take damage from the size of the hammer if you are understanding what saying
Sometimes for small dings a small ballpien with the beveled radiused edge does best for me

I remember back many years ago when Walt Brattons started doing stainless work before selling parts I bought some compounds from him and asked for some advice and he said font be afraid to take a small very fine file to it if you have a spot or two that needs some attention
It takes quite a long time to get sand scratches out through progressive grits
400,800,1000 and then buff with course compound an area like Charlie and Dave indicated in a grid manor

Once you have that down and buffed through in the course phase you can progress to your next of using fine with the fluffier wheel
Wear leather gloves as the guys have said !!

You are a good detail thorough restorer
You will do fine . Watch the edges and do them lightly
Common sense and very careful attention and patience is key

Larry

Last edited by larrys40; 02-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.