Thread: welders?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Ronnie

Default Re: welders?

Tig is an alternative.There will be no tradeoffs.The tig won't be cheap.You will need a machine that starts at 1 amp and goes up.The average entry level machine won't go low enough to give you a nice weld that requires little grinding.You will have blow through with a tig as well without lower amperage.Especially on the edge of a butt weld.You will need a foot pedal a good torch and more just to get you started.There will be a steep learning curve you will require to get in the groove to weld tin on a car. Yes tig is a well kept secret but you won't sit down and get picture perfect welds without a bunch of seat time.You are going to get posts that it will be a cake walk.Not in the beginning.Trying to control the haz and weld appearance will be a tougher task.I have been tig welding for 30+ years and yes you can accomplish it as a reliable process.My suggestion would be sort out your problems with your welder.The number of body shops that actually use tig in their daily routine will be few and far between as mig owns that process in body work.Ask some questions here about how other accomplished mig guy's achieve reliable results and I believe you can have all kinds of good results with mig as a repair in body work.Give some info as to your voltages and wire speed and size,gas .All of this needs to be known to troubleshoot your dilemma.Don't write off mig as it is known to have desired results with the correct parameters.I hope this helps before you condemn mig and jump into the fun world of tig.

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote