View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Ross6860

Default What Value is Originality in a Driver?

I'm new to this era of vehicle.

I have never been concerned about tearing a car apart and building it the way I want. I have also never had a vehicle that anyone would consider to have any real collector value. They were/are just my toys.

So I now have this '36 Tudor that appears to have a lot of original, or at least period correct replacement parts. Motor, trans, still has mechanical brakes, stock dash and mohair interior, stock suspension, etc. It also has had some very minor mods - Mallory ignition, Red's headers, duals.

It's been restored and I would call it a 2-minus vehicle. It has some mechanical and electrical issues, but looks very good, plus.

I've now driven it enough to know I wouldn't want to drive it 400 miles.

Am I doing any disservice to the vehicle if I rip out the old cloth wiring and install a custom wiring harness? Get rid of the steering wheel control switches, install a T5, juice brakes, tube shocks, anti-roll bars, seat belts, etc.

Tell me there are plenty of these cars original and well preserved and not to worry about performing some tasteful mods to make this one a more practical and comfortable driver for today. Or tell me to leave it alone, it's a piece of history. I can always sell it and just get a Mustang

I'm not too concerned about re-sale either way. If I mod it up I'll probably keep it until I pass (unless my wife finds a coupe or roadster she likes better).

Great site BTW, and thanks to all that make it so.

Tons of info and smart folks here with lots of vintage Ford experience.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote