View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
Old Henry

Default Re: Sunday Drive around Utah Lake in Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Prof. Henry, Thanks for bringing us along again. I liked the map, that helped me visualize your trip. I went back and placed myself at Pelican Point. For others who look at it, I had to zoom in a little to see the route trace.
If you zoom in close at Pelican Point you'll see an interesting historical feature that starts there and goes right along the shore of the lake north to the outlet into the Jordan River. It is an old canal. Back in the 40's sometime the lake got so low that it would not drain into the Jordan River so huge pumps were installed at Pelican Point and pumped water out of the lake into the canal that then flowed to the Jordan River. The canal is now overgrown with trees. It's the ribbon of green that goes right along the edge of the lake. The pumps have since been removed and replaced by pumps right at the outlet into the Jordan River. Here's the map again: https://goo.gl/maps/WqYRR Pelican point is that point jutting out into the lake from the west shore about 2/3 the way up that west side. The pumps were at the channels dug down to access the water on the south side of the point and pumped into the canal that crossed the point there at that time. That section of the canal is since filled in but it's path can still be seen.

One other little interesting feature in the lake: If you zoom in just north of Lincoln Beach on the south end you can see Bird Island. For many years I sailed out to that island with my boys at night under a full moon navigating by the stars (two mile trip) and camped overnight right at the bird nesting time when the island was covered with thousands of seagull and pelican nests and swarmed by the birds themselves. Here's the movie: http://youtu.be/tWegKJ7wxlg

And, each trip we'd plant a tree, since there were no trees on the island, and look forward to coming back the next year to see if it made it through the winter. Here's the only one that did, a Navaho Umbrella tree planted from a branch rooted from the tree in our back yard. The tree in our back yard is 30 feet high and 60 feet in diameter. This one on the island dwarfed because of the harsh conditions and only grew 6 feet tall but a perfectly shaped miniature of the huge on in our yard.

This picture was taken in 2005. Thereafter, the level of the lake water rose above the island and there was no island for a few years so we didn't go and the tree was drowned.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-16-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote