View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
P.S.

Default Re: Who can re-sleeve an original distributor?

Thanks again for all the input, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Paul, No where in your discription do I se any reference to reaming the bushings after pressing them into the distributor housing. I can't tell if you skipped this step or not. I suspect you did.
1) The force that you indicate was necessary to get the shaft into the housing.
2) The fact that you've ruined the new bushings and probably bent the shaft.
As someone else said, the bushings must be reamed after pressing the in.
This is done with a hand, adjustable, expansion reamer, turned with a tap wrench. The purpose of the reaming is to insure proper alignment of the bores to one another. The shaft should go into the bores with no more than a light tap from a plastic or Bronze hammer. It shouldn't fall in either. It should turn with minimum resistance. If it takes more than a light force, mike the reamer and make very slight adjustments to the reamer and take another cut. The watchword is "gentle", easy does it!
Be patient, it takes a little while.
Terry

Hi Terry, sorry for the confusion.

Yes, they were reamed first, and the shaft was a nice fit. The shaft is new, and it felt real nice in the new sleeves. The problem I have is getting the bottom on and the pin through it without ruining all the previous precise work. The pin seems way too tight on both sets of parts and the originals. By the time I press, or this last time, pound the pin in place, either I ruin the sleeves or the fit goes to heck and it binds. Each time I attempt this, I am wasting money, parts, and precious time.

I guess I just don't get it. Probably second nature to you guys, but this is proving very difficult for the ol' electronics engineer here.

I appreciate all your input and trying to help me. However, at this point, I have already made up my mind that I am NOT going to try this again myself. I am going to seek a professional to do this. Stand by...
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote