View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
frank55a

Default Re: Who can re-sleeve an original distributor?

P.S. Not sure what you mean by "In whacking it to get it to all line up, I also managed to make the bushings less tight to the shaft as well." I have rebuilt many distributers over the years. First rule in rebuilding any mechanical items 'be gentle, do not get in a rush, and if it does not fit do not use a bigger hammer.'

I do not have any fancy tools or presses. Champher the end of the bushing you are putting into the housing. I do not drive the bushings in - I simply use my vise to press them in. (NOTE: If you do not have a vise or were a vise will not work, I have found I piece of threaded stock with a couple of flat washers and a nut on each end works very well also to press in bushings). Once the bushings are in, there may be a slight bur that needs to be removed, a small jewlers file works well. The bushings should be reamed to .500" (this will ensure alignment of the bushings). Most dealers now supply a roll pin, most pins should not need to be "wacked in" they can also be simply be presed in. If the pin needs to be peened after it is installed besure to back up the sleeve & shaft so it will not get bent. GOOD LUCK
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote