View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 10:40 AM   #27
38 coupe

Default Re: Flathead V8 blocks not cast at the Rouge plant

This is an overview of the information I have combined from various sources, please correct me where I make mistakes.

Canadian engines largely followed USA engine design, with odd details thrown in the mix.

English engines were manufactured at the Dagenham plant and were always 21 stud engines. I have good pictures of the Pilot type engines with the core plugs on the back above the bell housing.
Are there other Dagenham specific engine types produced, or did all the other motors follow USA designs?

German engines were manufactured at the Cologne-Niehl plant. These started with 1935 type engines and followed USA type practices until WW2, with the introduction of newer designs lagging a year or two from USA introduction. From WW2 to the end of production local engineering made changes to engine design to meet their needs. First a distributor was added above the oil pump. Then some but not all features of 8BA engines were introduced (cooling improvements and locked in bearings adopted, bell housing and distributor change not adopted). Production continued until 1961. A website with five pages of good pictures of a late German engine is here: https://www.brandow.eu/div/29GT/index.html

French engines I can find information about the last production motors for the French military, but have not found much prior. What lead up to the military motors?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote