View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Joe K

Default Re: Where do you fit in?

I am mostly a 3. Call me a 2.8.

MOST of the work on the Model A I've done myself. But some things though are cost ineffective to do one's self. Rebuilding an engine, for one. Well, I skirted the issue mid-way.

I did the er, subcontracting of the work on my present operable engine. I disassembled. I had a guy hot tank it. I took out the crank and brought it to a crank grinding shop. I had the block rebored and piston fitted and then after delivery of the crank, I had him re-babbit the block to fit. He provided a re-ground cam from his stock. And he assembled it into a short block.

Meanwhile after his work I had found the crank-grinder had bent the crank at the center about 0.003. I nearly had a heart attack as he put it into a crank straightening press and brought it back to straight - under warranty. After the straightening, I chucked it in my lathe and re-faced the flywheel mount.

But this hands off management involvement for the engine is sort of the exception. Speedos I have not done myself. But I might try. The rear end I did do myself, soup to layout dye. Ditto the front end including straightening the axle as the ends were curled in a bit. The tranny I did myself. The clutch I bought a reman as I hadn't seen the D.J. Voyce article on how to do.

Body work is still sort of in my future. But I have done a lot of paint stripping to get back to bare metal. And I have visions of fixing the bottoms of those pesky CC pickup doors.

The Gordon-Smith compressor has been a sort of adjunct to my preservation efforts. The frame and front and rear axles were sandblasted using this. And I have a set of backing plates all set to go (although I'm still using the brakes that came with the car when I bought it.)

I've been following with interest the discussion about pressing/swaging new wheel studs into cast iron brake drums. I do plan on doing this myself. The press may be a separate challenge.

But for more time. This thing called working for a living.

As my dad said "I like working for a living - but it really raises heck with my day."

Joe K